This is a call-for-nominations in a by-election to fill the following vacancies:
- Two vacancies in Category A (Instructor, Lecturer, Special Lecturer, Assistant Librarian or Assistant Professor)
- one is a 1-year term
- one is a 2-year term
- One vacancy in Category B (Associate Professor or Associate Librarian)
- it is a 2-year term;
- One vacancy in Category D (equity officers from among all regular USFA members in good standing who are willing to ally and champion for members. It is expected that each candidate for this category would include a personal statement why they seek election to this position)
- it with a 1-year term;
Attached to this email is a list of all USFA members eligible to serve on the Executive along with a nomination form, which may be duplicated as necessary.
The USFA is the legal bargaining agent for academic employees at the U of S. It negotiates the terms and conditions of employment for its members and ensures their workplace rights are protected. In carrying out its responsibilities, the Association is an integral part of the collegium. Service to the Association counts as contributions to the administrative responsibilities of the University for the purpose of tenure and promotion.
The Executive Committee carries out the administration and management of the business of the Association between general meetings. It meets approximately every two weeks from September to June and at the call of the Chair. It establishes and guides the USFA Negotiating Committee and the Association Grievance Committee, and appoints members and observers to committees to ensure the Collective Agreement is followed. If you are interested in serving on the Executive Committee and would like more information about its workings, please contact the USFA Secretary, Geraldine Balzer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you need to know:
- Nominations must be signed by the nominee and three nominators who are eligible voters.
- Nominations may submitted and signed electronically to email@example.com
- Nominations must be received by July 28, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. after which they will be reviewed by the Elections committee.
- Late nominations will not be accepted.
- Each nomination should be accompanied by a brief election statement from the nominee to be included in the nomination package.
- The list of nominees will be visible at http://www.usaskfaculty.ca/ when accepted.
- Voting commences as soon as possible once nominations close and plans to end on August 14, 2020.
Following the receipt of all nominations, the Election Committee will finalize the ballot and members will receive a further email with information about nominees and how to vote. When the ballots are counted, the vacancies will be filled by the candidate(s) garnering the greatest number of votes in that category. In category A, candidates can stand for election into both term-positions, or a specific term-position if preferred—please specify on your nomination sheet.
In accordance with the USFA Constitution and the Collective Agreement, the Executive Committee consists of twelve (12) members as follows:
- Category A: two (2) from among those members holding the rank of Instructor, Lecturer, Special Lecturer, Assistant Librarian or Assistant Professor;
- Category B: two (2) from among those holding the rank of Associate Professor or Associate Librarian;
- Category C: two (2) from among those holding the rank of Professor or Librarian;
- Category D: two (2) equity officers from among all regular USFA members in good standing who are willing to ally and champion for members. It is expected that each candidate for this category would include a personal statement why they seek election to this position.
- Category E: four (4) from the membership at large.